You must spend lots of time on your pillows and don’t always think about how hygienic they are. So, how to wash memory foam pillow to make sure your cushion is always clean?
- Step 1: Prepare materials
- Step 2: Mix the solution
- Step 3: Rinse the cushion
- Step 4: Dry the cushion
This article will show you what to do in each step. We also recommend some tips to care for your memory foam pillow. Let’s join us!
- How To Wash Memory Foam Pillows?
- How To Spot Clean Your Memory Foam Pillow?
- How To Clean Spills Off The Memory Foam Pillow?
- How To Deodorize A Memory Foam Pillow?
- Care Instructions For The Pillow
- Can You Clean A Memory Foam Pillow Using The Washing Machine?
- How Often Should You Clean Your Memory Foam Pillow?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Words
How To Wash Memory Foam Pillows?
Washing the memory foam pillow is an easy task. Please follow these steps to thoroughly clean the cushion.
Step 1: Prepare
Before starting, make sure that you don’t miss anything in the checklist:
- Large tub
- Small bowl
- Gentle detergent
- Dishwashing liquid
Step 2: Mix the solution
Many sleep coaches advise hand-washing a foam pillow deep cleaning. Start by filling a big tub halfway with lukewarm water and a tiny bit of mild detergent for thorough hand washing. One teaspoon of soap per gallon of water is approximately correct.
The solution plays a vital role in washing the cushion
Step 3: Rinse the cushion
For deep cleaning, immerse the cushion entirely in the water as well as the detergent and water mixture.
Then, for about 10 minutes, squeeze the foam gently to distribute the cleaning fluid through the cushion.
Drain the liquid soap and replace it with new water in the tub. Next, to eliminate the suds, gently squeeze the cushion.
Fill the sink with water several times until there are no more suds left.
Don’t wring, or you may have a negative impact on the pillow’s material. It would be best if you only squeezed the cushion to deep clean it.
Do not wring the cushion, or you may ruin it
Step 4: Dry the cushion
How to dry out a memory foam pillow properly? It would be best to let the cushion air dry completely but avoid the direct heat and sunshine on a level, aired surface.
Please don’t use a clothes dryer since the excessive heat might weaken the foam and cause it to break down.
Use a small fan to circulate air and accelerate the drying process. A cushion might need 24 hours to dry correctly, depending on the thickness of the cushion.
Since you can’t dry a solid foam pillow with a clothes dryer, it is preferable to clean them on a windy and warm day to speed up the drying time.
If you dry the cushion indoors, allow about 24 hours to wash and dry, or simply spot-clean the cushion.
You should allow the cushions to air dry
How To Spot Clean Your Memory Foam Pillow?
Spot cleaning can help remove stains from a foam cushion when you don’t have time to wash it.
Step 1: Mix the cleaning solution
Stir one tablespoon of dish detergent with two cups of warm water in a small bowl.
Step 2: Treat the stain
Dip a clean cloth into the mixture and gently rub the stain from the outside inward. As the stain is fading, move to a clean part of the fabric.
Step 3: Rinse the cushion
Once you’ve removed the stain, wipe any residual soap with a clean damp cloth dipped in pure water.
Allow for complete air drying of the cushion. If you need to accelerate the drying time, dry the treated surface with a hairdryer adjusted to cool.
Step 4: Freshen the cushion
Spread baking soda over the entire pillow, making sure it is well covered.
Allow for one hour for baking soda to rest on the surface.
Vacuum the powder away with the vacuum’s upholstery brush attachment. This tip will help absorb smells while also eliminating any pet hair, pet urine, dust mites, or dead skin cells from the cushion.
Repeat the process with the other side of the cushion.
Baking soda is good at spot cleaning
How To Clean Spills Off The Memory Foam Pillow?
Drink spilling is not a rare incident. You may find liquids hard to remove, but the tips below can help.
- Peel off the removable pillow cover or protector. If the spill reaches these layers, clean both surfaces and place your memory foam pillow on a flat surface so you can act quickly and effectively.
- Use a clean cloth to absorb excess liquid. Acting fast is important since the longer the spill stays, the more difficult it will be to tidy up.
- Mix a light detergent and lukewarm water until you see a bubbling consistency.
- Rub the spot with a sponge or moist cloth soaked in water following a circular motion. It’s important not to scrub too hard. You may suffer from shredded memory foam if you use too much force.
- After removing the stain, softly wipe a dry and clean towel against the wet area to absorb excess water.
- Because regular memory foam is a thick substance, you should dry it immediately to avoid mold. The fabric can dry faster if you place it in sunshine or outside.
- If you can’t do either, you may speed up this process by using a fan.
You can deal with the spills easily
How To Deodorize A Memory Foam Pillow?
Off-gassing is a frequent issue with newly-bought solid memory foam pillows. Sleeping with your head on the root of the smell isn’t always pleasant. For unexplained reasons, it will occasionally emit other terrible odors.
We have outlined the steps of keeping your pillow smelling fresh:
- Remove the pillowcase and place it on a level surface.
- Sprinkle baking soda over the cushion. If you want the powder to have a pleasant smell, give it some lavender oil. The oil can also help you sleep better.
- Allow a few hours for the cushion to be exposed to the sun. It’s critical to leave it alone for a specific duration to enable the baking soda to absorb the smell from the fabric.
- Vacuum the powder using the upholstery attachment. This tip will help remove powder from the surface and hair and dead skin cells.
The unpleasant odor will no longer disturb your sleep
Care Instructions For The Pillow
Cleaning the memory foam pillow is quite straightforward. You can even make it easier if you maintain the cushion properly. Here are some care instructions:
What to do:
This guide will show you how to deep clean the memory foam pillow effectively using our recommended methods.
Before you dive in, keep the following tips in mind to maintain the cushion in good shape between washes.
- Vacuum the cushion surface every week to eliminate hair or other external particles. Vacuuming will guarantee that grime does not move to a spotless pillowcase.
- Spot clean a memory foam cushion at least monthly to remove dust. Dirt accumulates over time. A hygienic sleeping environment helps you sleep better and improve your overall health.
- Replace the pillow cover every week. This habit can encourage healthy, peaceful sleep.
- A person sweats or exfoliates their skin on their mattress while sleeping. Hence, never skip the pillowcase. It is the first protective cover.
- Using a pillow protector is a smart choice. It can shield the cushion perfectly. This video will share with you more about its benefits.
- Wash the pillow covers and protectors every month.
- To accelerate the drying process, clean your pillows on a warm day. Because memory foam pillows are thick, they take a very long time to dry. The cushion will dry faster on hotter days, preventing mold from growing.
What not to do:
To ensure that your pillow can last as long as possible and work as well as it used to, you should avoid some things.
Memory foam is a sensitive substance that, if not handled properly, might lead to the need for a new one.
- Don’t use strong chemicals like bleach to keep your memory foam pillow from breaking down.
- Even if the washing machine features an agitator, never put your memory foam pillow in it unless the manufacturer instructs so. The spin cycle may be too rough for the cushion.
- Never use the hair dryer to dry your pillow. The high heat from this tool may melt your cushion.
- Wringing the cushion isn’t a good idea. It might cause this delicate material to break down.
- Avoid using hot water since it can harden the stain rather than eradicate it.
- Always wait until your memory foam pillow is entirely dry before using it. The moist inside is the ideal breeding place for mildew and mold if the pillow is still damp.
Keep these dos and don’ts in mind
Can You Clean A Memory Foam Pillow Using The Washing Machine?
It would be best if you never cleaned your memory foam pillow using the washing machine. It may cause serious harm to the cushion. The movement is too harsh, making the cushion rip.
Using a washing machine doesn’t accomplish the job as effectively as following the instructions described above.
To work properly, you must first compress and expel the dirt, dust mites, and germs inside the cushion.
The cushion is not machine washable
How Often Should You Clean Your Memory Foam Pillow?
It would be best to clean your solid memory foam pillows every month or at least every two months.
If someone is sick and has laid their head on your pillow, thoroughly clean it as soon as they recover. Germs can quickly develop in the cushion, making someone else ill.
Additionally, vacuum the pillows every other week or whenever you replace your bedding and lay them outside for some fresh air.
Try to replace the cushion regularly
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions about how to wash a memory foam pillow. Let’s check!
1. How often should you change the pillow?
We all want to keep the pillows as long as possible. However, even if you use a high-quality pillow, it may get dirty or break down over time. The standard lifespan for most cushions is two to three years.
2. Can I get the memory foam wet?
The only time you should let your memory foam become wet is when you’re washing it. To avoid mold and mildew buildup, you should air dry it before usage.
3. Is there a specialized pillow for side sleepers?
These people have different demands. Pillows should be thick enough to keep their heads supported throughout the nighttime. If your pillow is thin, it will strain your spine, causing pains and aches.
Cleaning your solid memory foam pillow regularly and correctly will keep it new, extend its life, and assist you in gradually improving your sleep quality.
Hopefully, you will find this article helpful. If you need any further information, please feel free to ask. Thank you for being interested in the post!
How to Wash a Memory Foam Pillow – eachnight