It’s not hard to see why people want to tie a box spring to their roof rack. But if you’ve never done it before, the process can be daunting. In this article, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know about how to tie box springs to roof rack.
To tie a box spring to a roof rack, use rope or bungee cords to secure it. Make sure the spring is firmly attached before driving. We also give tips on what rope or strap to secure it and the best way to tie a mattress to a roof rack. By the time you’re finished, you’ll be an expert on tying a mattress and box spring on top of cars!
Things You Should Do Before Strapping A Box Spring On Top Of Cars
It’s not as hard as you think to strap mattress to the roof of the car and take it with you on your next road trip. But you should do a few things first to ensure the process goes smoothly. Here are four steps before strapping that box spring onto your car roof.
Check Your Local Regulations
Before you start packing for your next road trip, check your local regulations to see if there are any restrictions on what you can and can’t transport on the roof of your car. Some areas have specific laws about the size and weight of items a car can carry, so it’s important to ensure you comply with the rules.
Check your local regulations
Use The Proper Vehicle
The next step is using the proper vehicle to transport your box spring. If you’re using a smaller car, it’s important to secure the box spring properly, so it doesn’t cause damage to the roof or take up too much space inside the car. You might also want to consider renting a larger car or truck if you’re planning on transporting a lot of items on your trip.
Gather A Few Necessary Tools
When packing for a road trip, it’s essential to have the right tools to make the process go smoothly. Here are four essential tools you’ll need to strap a box spring onto the roof of your car.
Ratchet straps are essential for tying mattresses to car roofs. You’ll need at least two straps to secure the top and bottom of the box spring, and you can use additional straps to secure the sides if needed. Be sure to choose straps rated for the weight of your box spring and ensure they’re tightly secured before hitting the road.
Foam padding is another essential tool for protecting your box spring while you’re transporting it on the roof of your car. It will help protect it from bumps and scratches while on the road. You can use foam padding to wrap the box spring before securing it with ratchet straps.
A tarp is a final essential tool you’ll need to protect your box spring while transporting it on the roof of your car. You can use the tarp to cover the entire load, or you can use it to cover the box spring specifically.
Pack Your Mattress Or Box Spring
Once you’ve checked the regulations and found the right vehicle and necessary tools, it’s time to start packing your mattress or box spring. Be sure to wrap it in a protective cover, foam padding, or a tarp before securing it to the roof of your car.
With these four steps in mind, you’ll be ready to strap your box spring onto the roof of your car and hit the open road. Just be sure to take your time and follow the instructions carefully to ensure a safe and successful journey.
How To Tie Box Spring To Roof Rack
Depending on your type, there are a few ways to ratchet strap a mattress to a car. The most important part of securing the box spring is ensuring that it is stable and will not move around while you are driving. Here are the detailed instructions on how to tie box springs to roof racks:
For A Roof Rack With Crossbars
A roof rack with crossbars
- Step 1: Remove the vehicle’s antenna.
- Step 2: Place the box spring upside down on the roof of your car and align it so that the roof rack’s crossbars are in the middle of the box spring.
- Step 3: Thread two ratchet straps through the crossbars from the front crossbar to the rear crossbar and over the top part of the box spring; one strap on each side, and secure them to the crossbars.
- Step 4: Place two more ratchet straps under the roof with open windows from the right side to the left side and over the top part of the box spring; one strap on the driver’s windows and another on the passenger ones.
- Step 5: Tighten all four ratchet straps until the box spring is securely in place.
For A Roof Rack Without Crossbars
A roof rack without crossbars
- Step 1: Remove the vehicle’s antenna.
- Step 2: Place the box spring on your roof rack and align it properly.
- Step 3: Thread a ratchet strap through the bottom of the front side roof rack and over the top of the box spring and secure it.
- Step 4: Repeat step 2 for the rear side.
- Step 5: Pull the ratchet straps tight and secure them in place.
- It is always a good idea to have someone else help you when securing a large item like a box spring to the roof of your car.
- Ensure that the box spring is well secured before driving, as it could cause damage to your car or come loose and fall off while driving.
- If possible, try to avoid driving in bad weather conditions such as high winds or heavy rain, as this could increase the risk of the box spring coming loose.
- If you are going to be driving for a long distance, make sure to check the straps periodically to make sure that they are still tight and secure.
Common Mistakes When Strapping Mattress To Roof Rack
When strapping a mattress to a roof rack, there are a few things to avoid to ensure safe and secure transport. Failure to follow these guidelines can damage the mattress or the vehicle. Here are the most common mistakes:
Not Using Enough Straps
To secure the mattress, you should use up to four straps. You should place two on the front and back of the mattress and two on the sides. It will help to keep the mattress in place and prevent it from shifting during transport.
Not Securing The Straps Properly
It is important to ensure that the straps are tight and secure before starting to drive. Loose straps can cause the mattress to move around, damaging the vehicle or the mattress. Be sure to check the straps periodically during transport to make sure they are still secure.
Not securing the straps properly
Not Using A Protective Cover
A protective cover is essential in preventing damage to the mattress during transport. It will also help to keep the mattress clean and free of debris. Be sure to secure the cover with straps or tie-downs, so it does not become loose during transport.
Not Inspecting The Vehicle Before Transport
Before starting to transport the mattress, it is important to inspect the vehicle to make sure that everything is in good working order. This step includes checking the tires, brakes, and lights. It is also important to ensure that the roof rack is secure and that there is nothing loose on the vehicle that could fall off and damage the mattress.
Following these guidelines will help to ensure that the mattress is transported safely and securely. By avoiding these common mistakes, you can avoid damage to the mattress and the vehicle.
This article has shown how to tie box spring to roof racks in less than 5 minutes. We have also provided a video demonstration and written instructions. If you follow these steps, you can transport your mattress without any trouble.