The softness of memory foam mattresses toppers makes them popular and loved by many people. They act as a soft cushion that hugs you to sleep every night, improving the quality of your sleep. Does their quality mean long shelf life?
How long do memory foam mattress toppers last? They can last from 3 to 5 years depending on several factors, including their quality, frequency of use, the weight you put on it, or maintenance quality.
If you intend to purchase a new one, let’s click on this article to get more useful information about its lifespan and considerations when choosing it!
- What Is A Foam Mattress Topper?
- Why Should You Use Mattress Toppers?
- How Long Do Memory Foam Mattress Toppers Last?
- What To Do To Increase The Lifespan Of Mattress Toppers?
- When Should You Replace Your Mattress Toppers?
- What To Consider When Buying A Mattress Topper?
- In A Nutshell
What Is A Foam Mattress Topper?
Before diving into the primary question, it’s better to acquire knowledge related to some main concepts of the foam mattress topper.
The foam mattress topper is also called a mattress pad, a detachable piece of bedding that you put on your mattress like a perfectly fitted sheet.
It works as an extra cushion to bring additional comfort and a hugging sense during sleep. It is extremely useful as a bedding protector for your old and excessively soft mattresses.
Previously, these toppers were constructed of an egg crate-like foam. However, newer versions now contain memory foam for pressure relief and prevent motion transfer during nighttime turning and tossing.
It contains the main component – viscoelastic polyurethane. This material is also commonly used in other toppers.
The reason is that it comes with various thicknesses and varying densities for greater cushioning and protectors.
Unlike latex, which is relatively firm to sleep on, it is considerably soft and relaxing, so it aids in reducing bedding motion when you move at night.
Older versions may be heat absorbent to cause a hot night’s sleep. However, modern foam toppers can keep you relaxed and cool during the night by using gel technology with foam.
Thus, it still absorbs your body temperature but dissipates heat while you sleep.
Why Should You Use Mattress Toppers?
For those who wonder about buying a new topper, here are the reasons:
Improve The Quality Of Your Sleep.
If you would like to improve the comfort of your bedding to gain a better night’s sleep, putting a topper on your existing mattress may be the answer.
Aid In Extending Your Old Mattress Usage.
Installing a topper on top of the existing mattress might be a viable option for uncomfortable mattresses, particularly if you can’t afford a new bedding product. It might provide extra comfort until you’re ready to invest in a new bedding product.
It will not only give comfort, but it will also extend the mattress life. It will protect your mattress from wearing out as it will be a great barrier between your body and the bedding.
Assist Pressure Points.
This topper may also relieve your neck and other pain spots, which is a great advantage. As a result, it may be able to alleviate any pain that your sinking mattress may be creating. It will assist you in getting a better night’s sleep.
Enable You To Live A Better And Cleaner Lifestyle.
Your bedding acquires a lot of dust mites, bed bugs, or dead skin, while washing it is quite challenging. And you don’t want those when you tuck yourselves up under the down comforter.
However, how can you prevent them from settling in? A topper is the best solution since it is easier to wash, ensuring that your bed is always healthy and sanitary.
Benefits of the products
How Long Do Memory Foam Mattress Toppers Last?
Memory foam toppers can generally last from 3 to 5 years. Their shelf life varies depending on five key elements: the thickness of the toppers, the weight you often put on them, frequency of use, the quality of your mattress, and maintenance.
The Thickness Of The Toppers
Thin foam toppers are less long-lasting compared to thicker ones. Thinner products tend to wear down more quickly, but thick memory ones last longer.
It is because thicker products require much time to break down and provide extra comfort.
The Weight You Often Put On Them
The top foam layers on most toppers are more enduring by a high-density foundation and a significantly robust core. But the topper lacks this quality.
As a result, when you create extra pressure on the topper, it will degrade more quickly. For this reason, heavier people may reduce the longevity of the topper.
Frequency Of Use
Without a doubt, the more you use these products, the faster they will wear down. For example, the lifespan of toppers in your bedroom is shorter than those of guest rooms.
Normally, you spend at least 8 hours on them per day, which creates more pressure and makes them less long-lasting.
The Quality Of Your Mattress
If your mattress is quite old and already sagging and worn out at some points, your foam topper will follow these contours. This action causes the sage to be more obvious because of its smooth and soft nature. It will ultimately damage your topper.
Despite being new, if you still feel uncomfortable or painful even when it has a topper above, you should consider buying another new one.
If you have used it for several years and it shows no signs of dents or sagging, you should also replace it with a new one as the old product can shorten the life of the topper.
Although these products are tough to clean thoroughly, there are methods to do so while also extending the life of your mattress.
Foam toppers kept in good condition will last longer and provide greater benefit than those that aren’t.
Stains from drinks, foods, dust, accumulated dirt, pet urine, and stink may gradually destroy your mattress topper and make it worthless if you are too lazy to clean it.
The product longevity
What To Do To Increase The Lifespan Of Mattress Toppers?
Are you searching for useful ways to increase the longevity of your toppers? Looking no further than these tips right below:
- Select a topper with a greater density, which is more durable.
- To ensure that the topper wears evenly, rotate it often. If it’s a two-sided sleeper, you should switch it.
- Suppose you and your spouse are of different heights and weights. Rotation becomes mandatory every two weeks after that. Otherwise, you can perform this task every six months.
- It’s important to wash and clean your toppers regularly. You can gain more advantages by sometimes exposing them to the sunlight.
- It would be best if you considered placing a mattress cover on the top of your toppers to minimize maintenance and better maintain their quality.
- Always double-check the warranty. The toppers should come with a trial period and return policy.
Increasing product longevity
When Should You Replace Your Mattress Toppers?
All in all, your body will be the main factor determining when you need to purchase a new product. Besides, there are distinct, trustworthy indicators that the current topper is faulty and should be replaced, as shown below:
- Your body sinks into the topper with a greater heaviness.
- It is either too hard or too soft.
- When you first get up in the morning, you feel unsupported, have back discomfort, and have muscle and joint pain.
- You begin to experience rashes, itching, and breakouts on your skin.
- It shows imperfections such as tears, permanent dents, depression, or holes visibly.
- You are encountering problems sleeping at night for no apparent reason.
What To Consider When Buying A Mattress Topper?
Apart from the tips above, you should apply these tricks right the time you purchase a brand new topper to increase its lifespan:
- Size: If you want the longevity of your topper longer, its size should perfectly fit the mattress. A topper that is the wrong size may cause the edges to droop, making it seem awkward and disrupting sleep.
- Thickness: A decent topper should be 2 to 4 inches thick. You may use a thicker topper to support heavier sleepers and keep the construction intact for a longer period.
- Density: The firmness of the mattress determines the topper’s density. Meanwhile, density determines the quality, comfort, and durability of the product.
A reasonable density for a topper should be from 4 to 6 pounds. High density is great, but it’s extremely costly.
- Comfort: Examine the load-deflection range for the Indentation. It’s an indicator of how comfortable the topper is. It also refers to the foam’s deflection ability. Between 8 to 20 is considered appropriate.
In A Nutshell
This article has eventually got to the end of your question: How long do memory foam mattress toppers last? To sum up, their longevity depends on various factors mentioned above, but they can last up to 5 years if you follow our tips.
Hopefully, this post will be helpful for you. Thanks for reading, and see you in the next article!